Click here for more graphics and gifs!

Welcome to BBQ.Glen-Ellyn.com, official web home of The Annual Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ Cook-Off! Here you'll find a wealth of news and information about this delicious community event.


WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING APPLICTAIONS FOR OUR 6TH ANNUAL COOK-OFF - BAGS TOURNEY AND SPONSORSHIPS!
2014 GE BBQ COMPETITOR RULES   2014 GE BAGS COMPETITOR RULES & APPLICATION FORM   2014 GE BBQ SPONSORSHIP INFORMATION  

Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Road Trip to Bubba's Berk's

Last year, after competing in Wetsmont's Red, White and BBQ, I've been on a mission to cook with the freshest ingredients I can find.  A very good friend of mine had told me about Berkshire hogs and the unusual quality associated with them.  So with a little research we found a hog farmer in Varna, Il that breeds Berkshires - Bubba's Berk's

Zach "Bubba" Siwinski along with his father Mike and mom Kathy own and operate Bubba's Berk's.

After placing an order for myself and two good friends, me and the boys road tripped it to Varna yesterday.  Varna is about 1 hour and 45 minutes from Glen Ellyn.  And as expected, Mike greeted us with a very firm handshake and offered me and the boys a tour. We couldn't resist.


Bubba's Berk's uses no growth hormones, steroids or antibiotics and the hogs are pasture raised rather than being kept in confinement.

For being 100% natural, Bubba's Berk's is priced very competitively. Shoulder was $2.50 lb; Spareribs $2.75 lb and BabyBacks were $5 lb. Needless to say, the quality is outstanding and when I'm investing hours in a cook, I have absolutley no problem paying that little extra. 

Today, I was having the in-laws over and decided to smoke some Bubba's Berk's spare ribs.  The meat is gorgeous, nice and pink, good fat throughout. It doesn't get more fresh than this.


 I rubbed them with my homemade blend and smoked them using maple wood...


Glazed and finsihed them on my Weber...


The final product...gone within minutes.


If you are as serious about BBQ as I am, I'd highly recommend trying Bubba's products. His pork loin is second to none. You can call the farm at (815) 452-2935.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Grill.The Fine Print: The Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ is an unofficial community gathering that is run by neighborhood volunteers and is not affiliated with any organization other than its sponsors and not-for-profit beneficiary. Entrants and guests participate at their own risk.
Comments posted on this web blog represent the opinions of those who submitted them and are not necessarily the opinions of the administrators, who reserve the right to edit or delete comments for any or no reason. Questions? Email BBQ@Glen-Ellyn.com.
Site Copyright ©2009-2010 Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ. All rights reserved.