Click here for more graphics and gifs!

Welcome to BBQ.Glen-Ellyn.com, official web home of The Annual Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ Cook-Off! Here you'll find a wealth of news and information about this delicious community event.


WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING APPLICTAIONS FOR OUR 6TH ANNUAL COOK-OFF - BAGS TOURNEY AND SPONSORSHIPS!
2014 GE BBQ COMPETITOR RULES   2014 GE BAGS COMPETITOR RULES & APPLICATION FORM   2014 GE BBQ SPONSORSHIP INFORMATION  

Friday, February 10, 2012

My 3rd Brisket and Still Learning....


I don't have a whole lot of experience cooking brisket, so I thought I better start learning. I bought this choice 7 lb flat at Mike's. It's a little bigger than I had wanted, but figured I could use the leftovers for chili.


Trimming away much of the fat allows for a better developed bark, so I cleaned up as much of the fat from this one side as I could without taking away any of the meat. Looks a whole lot easier than it is and having a very sharp knife is a must. 


As you can see from this photo, I left about a 1/4 inch of fat on the other side. This extra fat will help baste the brisket as it cooks. After trimming it all up, I used Coca-Cola as a sort of tenderizer - got this tip from Teddy Reader's book. I let it sit in the fridge overnight in the cola.


The next day, I used a wet rub consisting of "Better than Bouillon", brown sugar, Worcestershire, yellow mustard, onion powder, freshly ground black pepper, minced garlic and kosher salt.

As I had mentioned, I left about 1/4 inch of fat on the one side, so I placed it fat-cap up in the cooker allowing it to self baste as it cooked. Smoked it at 250* using pecan wood.


 I've been trying to keep my BBQ much more simple these days. No foil, no spritzing - just heat and smoke.
After about 5 hours its got some nice color and had formulated some decent bark.


Cooked it  to an internal temperature of 187*.
 It was tender, juicy and pulled apart with little resistance - just where it needed to be.


 The bark was good, but the meat could have used a bit more flavor. I may inject my next briskie with Kosmos and use hickory/apple rather than pecan for the smoke. Also, I could have trimmed a little more fat off the cap. I think for a comp, I'd  probably square off the brisket before cooking it too. All-in-all, not too bad for my 3rd one.


Thanks for looking and happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Grill.The Fine Print: The Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ is an unofficial community gathering that is run by neighborhood volunteers and is not affiliated with any organization other than its sponsors and not-for-profit beneficiary. Entrants and guests participate at their own risk.
Comments posted on this web blog represent the opinions of those who submitted them and are not necessarily the opinions of the administrators, who reserve the right to edit or delete comments for any or no reason. Questions? Email BBQ@Glen-Ellyn.com.
Site Copyright ©2009-2010 Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ. All rights reserved.