Click here for more graphics and gifs!

Welcome to BBQ.Glen-Ellyn.com, official web home of The Annual Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ Cook-Off! Here you'll find a wealth of news and information about this delicious community event.


WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING APPLICTAIONS FOR OUR 6TH ANNUAL COOK-OFF - BAGS TOURNEY AND SPONSORSHIPS!
2014 GE BBQ COMPETITOR RULES   2014 GE BAGS COMPETITOR RULES & APPLICATION FORM   2014 GE BBQ SPONSORSHIP INFORMATION  

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Poblano Burgers!


Had a taste for burgers today. Typically I like mayo, tomatoes, avocado, onion and bacon on mine. So rather than pile each item on separately, I decided to combine all of those items plus lime, cilantro and grated garlic into a guacamole to be placed onto my burger (I was out of bacon - very, very bad).

(Be sure to click on photos for a larger view)


Here my little helper is scraping the flesh from an avocado into a bowl. He loves cooking and can't get enough of it. And I love the fact he loves cooking. Together we make a great team!


We used one diced avocado, 2 tbs Hellmans, juice of one small lime, one chopped plum tomato (seeds and core removed), 2 tbs grated onion, 1 micro planed garlic clove, a dash of Louisana Hot Sauce, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Mixed and let it set in the fridge for a few hours to meld.


I love grilled poblanos, so I decided to char one up real good to add to our ground chuck.


After the poblano had charred, I let it cool in a plastic bag. Once cooled, I removed the seeds, membrane and stem and chopped it up.  Made these patties about 3/4 inch thick. I also made it rustic by design. In my opinion the best burgers are those that are handled the least. I don't compress the meat. I make the patty as loose as possible. Aside from the poblanos, all I used was S&P and little spray butter.


I'm really lovn' Royal Oak Lump. It's char flavor in next to none.


Built a two-zone fire and cleaned my grates real good. I quit buying those expensive scrapers cuz at the end of the day, they all get gunked up. I rather buy these cheapos at Menards and then just throw em away once caked up..


Man, look at that! I love those charred, crisp edges.


I always oil and season my buns with S&P. I Toast them too (Got those tips from Bobby Flay).  Got these light and airy rolls at Valli. They were really fresh.


Final product: Poblano burger, Cape Cod Kettle Cooked Harvest Gold Chips, a Milwaukee's Dill Pickle and an Old Style - and that my friends is how I roll!


This burger was delish! Although crispy bacon bits added to the guacamole would have taken it to the next level for sure.

Happy Friday and thanks for looking.

1 comment:


Grill.The Fine Print: The Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ is an unofficial community gathering that is run by neighborhood volunteers and is not affiliated with any organization other than its sponsors and not-for-profit beneficiary. Entrants and guests participate at their own risk.
Comments posted on this web blog represent the opinions of those who submitted them and are not necessarily the opinions of the administrators, who reserve the right to edit or delete comments for any or no reason. Questions? Email BBQ@Glen-Ellyn.com.
Site Copyright ©2009-2010 Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ. All rights reserved.