Click here for more graphics and gifs!

Welcome to BBQ.Glen-Ellyn.com, official web home of The Annual Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ Cook-Off! Here you'll find a wealth of news and information about this delicious community event.


WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING APPLICTAIONS FOR OUR 6TH ANNUAL COOK-OFF - BAGS TOURNEY AND SPONSORSHIPS!
2014 GE BBQ COMPETITOR RULES   2014 GE BAGS COMPETITOR RULES & APPLICATION FORM   2014 GE BBQ SPONSORSHIP INFORMATION  

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Smoked Chuckie!


I love Mike's cuz when I walk in I know exactly what to expect - good, consistent quality. Last Saturday, I bought a 7-bone chuckie and decided I'd smoke and pull it for Sunday's feast.


Just look at it. What a hunk of meat! 


Recently, I bought some Kosmo's Beef Injection. I always inject my shoulders, but never have I injected my beef.  Heard some good things about Kosmo's so I thought I'd give it  a try.


Mixed the Kosmo's with unsalted beef stock and heated it the microwave for a few seconds so it'd mix better.


I injected it in a one-inch grid pattern, wrapped it in plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge overnight.


The next day I rubbed it with my own beef rub and dialed the Chargriller Outlaw to 325*. Thought I'd try fast and hot vs. the usual low and slow. Sometimes you just gotta try different things.


I love my Chargriller Outlaw and for the money it was a good buy. That being said, it's about time I step it up. I've been eyeball'n Lang and Meadowcreek stick burners.  Next year, I will upgrade.

After about an hour and a half....


Took it off at 190*. Not sure what I was thinking cuz it wasn't pullable. Should have let it ride on up to 195-199*. I guess I was overly anxious...


...and as a result, I had to cut it into slices and man, it was tender nonetheless. Nice smoke ring too.

I chopped the rest and placed it onto some freshly baked kaiser rolls. Served it with Broccoli slaw, seasoned fries, pepper jack abts and an Oldstyle of course.


Happy Friday!






5 comments:


Grill.The Fine Print: The Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ is an unofficial community gathering that is run by neighborhood volunteers and is not affiliated with any organization other than its sponsors and not-for-profit beneficiary. Entrants and guests participate at their own risk.
Comments posted on this web blog represent the opinions of those who submitted them and are not necessarily the opinions of the administrators, who reserve the right to edit or delete comments for any or no reason. Questions? Email BBQ@Glen-Ellyn.com.
Site Copyright ©2009-2010 Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ. All rights reserved.